Re: The X story so far...

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, John Labovitz wrote:

> Chris R. Martin <chrism@asic.sc.ti.com> wrote:
>
> > I can start X by using "xinit" -- xdm STILL does NOTHING.
>
> finally found the magic incantation: simply add the following line to
> `/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers' (without the leading spaces):
>
>   :0 my-x-server local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0
>
> according to the comments in that file, installing xbase should set up
> this file correctly, but it didn't for me; perhaps i didn't specify at
> the time that i wanted xdm to run instead of using the xinit (aka
> startx) method.

If you originally specified that you didn't want xdm runa s a default
and you later change your mind about running xdm, you must do the
following things:

First, edit /etc/X11/config and change the no-start-xdm to start-xdm
if you want xdm started at bootup.  Change no-xdm-start-server to
xdm-start-server if you want xdm to start a local server instead of
only accepting remote requests.

Second, anytime you make changes to this file, you should run
/usr/sbin/xbase-configure.  This will update all other files as needed
(including /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers).

This should solve your problems.  I hope this helps...

Erv

                                ____
--==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /   / /_/\ \ \         - walter@chem.wisc.edu
-=====/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\  /______\ \ \  - edwalter@students.wisc.edu