Xdm just displays console

Hello,

I have been using XFree86 for the last week or so. Yesterday I left my desk
for about 15 minutes to help another user with a problem and when I had come
back, I found 'gnuchess' running. I terminated the program and afterwards I
can't get
xdm to work properly. (next time I'll be sure to lock my session)

The problem is that when I run xdm command I get a login screen as normal.
After I log in, all that is shown is the console which displays

>> Oct 9 07:14:01 info2 rnews: cant open_remote Connection refused
>> Oct 9 07:28:36 info2 kernel: PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected --
driver installed.

There are no xterm windows. If I click on the mouse buttons the window
manager menus don't appear. Basically all that I get is the console and the
grey background colour.

When I run the 'startx' command everything runs fine. I can customize xterm
windows, use the window manager and run the applications such as xload,
xclock etc.

I am wondering if someone can tell me why this is occuring. Below is the
contents of the xdm-config file. I have checked the .xsession-errors file
and no errors are reported and the XF86Config file is unchanged.

Thanks in advance,
Tej

The following is the xdm-config file contents

! $XConsortium: xdm-conf.cpp,v1.2 93/09/28 14:30:32 gildea Exp $
DisplayManager.authDir:                 /var/lib/xdm
DisplayManager.errorLogFile:            /var/log/xdm-errors
DisplayManager.pidFile:                 /var/run/xdm-keys
DisplayManager.keyFile:                 /etc/x11/xdm/xdm-keys
DisplayManager.servers:                 /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers
DisplayManager.accessFile:              /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess
DisplayManager._0.authorize:            true
DisplayManager._0.resources:            /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources_0
DisplayManager._0.setup:                /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
DisplayManager._0.startup:              /etc/X11/xdm/Xstartup_0
DisplayManager._0.reset:                /etc/X11/xdm/Xreset_0
DisplayManager*resources:               /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources
DisplayManager*setup:                   /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup
DisplayManager*startup:                 /ect/X11/xdm/Xstartup
DisplayManager*reset:                   /etc/X11/xdm/Xreset
DisplayManager*session:                 /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
DisplayManager*userPath:                /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/
X11:usr/games
DisplayManager*systemPath:              /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/
sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:usr/bin/X11
DisplayManager*authComplain:            true