Re: Segmentation fault during install

Christian Watts wrote:

> Dear Sir or Madam,
>         I'm having difficulty getting debian linux installed on my computer.
> It boots alright, partitions the disk, initializes the swap and root
> partitions, and mounts '/' on the root partition.  Then, when I insert
> the first base disk (when prompted) it comes up with a segmentation
> fault.  No stack trace or any other information is given.  It just says:
>
> segmentation fault
>
> Something went wrong with.... etc.
>
> My hardware is as follows:
>
> ASUS P/I P55TP4N Pentium Mainboard (32M memory 512K pipeline burst
> cache)
> Adaptec AHA2940 bios rev 1.16 PCI SCSI Host
> Artisoft Noderunner S/I (NE2000 comp.) ISA ethernet adapter irq:15 0x340
> ATI Graphics Pro Turbo PCI video card.  (2M)
> Sound Blaster 16 w/ proprietary Creative CD interface
> Quantum Fireball 1gig SCSI-2 drive
> HP SureStore 2.1gig SCSI-2 drive
> Panasonic PD SCSI CDROM drive
> 2 1.44 meg floppies
>
>         All BIOS caching is disabled, as are the onboard IDE ports.  Linux
> detects these IDE ports as disabled on boot, and reports the onboard
> floppy as a 'Post-1991 82077'.  It also finds all my SCSI drives
> correctly, and identifies the PD as a CDROM.
>
>         I have tried turning off caching (both internal and external as well as
> one and the other), setting the system boot up speed to low, and turning
> off the PCI bursting, streaming, and concurrency.  I have also verified
> that my Adaptec is indeed on INTA Irq 10.
>
>         I am using the standard boot1440.bin image, along with the root.bin and
> the base14-x.bin base images which I made using rawrite2 under DOS.
>
> Thanks, in advance, for any help,
> Christian Watts
> cmwatts@telepath.com
>
> --

Hey all,
	An update to this problem.  I managed to solve it myself, and hope
someone else may benefit from my solution.  Basically, the problem seems
to be that the install routine didn't want to install the base system
from diskettes.  So, I downloaded the file base1_1.tgz and placed it in
the root directory of my DOS partition.

	During install, after setting up my Linux swap and root partitions, I
switched to the second virtual console (leftAlt-F2), and issued:

mount -t msdos /dev/sda2 /mnt
               ^^^^^^^^^
               substitute your DOS partition here.

	This mounted the DOS partition, and the install was able to
automatically find the tarfile and install from there.

hope this is useful,

Christian Watts
<cmwatts@telepath.com>