Re: problems with X

In article <[🔎] Pine.SOL.3.95.961003222706.18895A-100000@striper> you write:
>I have installed Debian 1.1.9 and xbase, xlib, xserver-svga, and fvwm
>packages. I chose during xbase to use xdm to start x.. and during boot-up
>I see the message "starting xdm".. however typing "xdm" at a root prompt
>doesn't do anything. I tried xinit and got the following output:

If you use xdm to start an X server, then the server should start
automatically when you boot. If it doesn't then there's something
wrong. You shouldn't have to type 'xdm' at any prompt.

>TRANS(SocketUNIXConnect) () can't connect: errno = 111
>giving up.
>xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
>xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

This is the clue. For some reason, the X server is unable to create
the Unix-domain socket to listen for local connections. This could be
because you don't have Unix-domain sockets in your kernel (I don't
know whether this is a configuration option anymore) or because there
is something up with the /tmp/.X11-unix directory.

Try deleting /tmp/.X11-unix (and everything under it) and starting the
server.

Steve Early