Re: Another smail question or two

jhspies@ilink.nis.za writes:
-> Do I have to use the same username on my computer than I use at the ISP?  If
-> not, how do I correct the problem?

I know there are ways to get sendmail to translate addresses. I'm not
sure about smail.  However, it can be a confusing thing to set up and
I don't have the information handy.  using the same username both
places is certainly the easy way.  Then netnews will work out the
right address too (Provided you configure your domain right there too
:)

-> If I have to change my username on my own computer, which is the best way to
-> transfer all my present files to the new username?

The easiest way would be to do as root:
1) edit /etc/passwd, and change "js" to "jhspies" in the 2 places
    where it appears (username and home directory). The line will look
    like:
js:??????????:???:???:name,etc,...,...,...:/home/js:/bin/bash

2) edit /etc/group and again change js:*:??: to jhspies:*:??: where
    the ?? represents some number.
3) cd /home; mv js jhspies

-> I am not sure whether mail sent through elm when I was not connected to my
-> ISP, will be sent automatically when the ppp-connection is established.

To make sure it will, edit /etc/ppp/ip-up and make sure it contains
the line

/usr/bin/runq

HTH
-Larry
--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  vizzie@airmail.net / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/