Re: How to move the system to a new hard disk?

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Fernando Tadeu Caldeira Brandt wrote:

> I am planing to install a new bigger hard disk. I will
> keep the old one but I would like to move Debian Linux
> to the new disk. Is it safe to use dd? If not, what would
> be the most pratical way to do that without having to
> remember all customization, etc?
> Fernando

It's best to boot from floppies (to avoid endless loop of the following
command), mount your old disk under, say, /mnt, and your new disk under,
say, /mnttt.  Well then just run the following command:
cp -dpR /mnt /mnttt
If you want to see which files are copied, add the switch "-v".  It will
take a little long time :)

Then, Don't Forget To Re-install Lilo!  (maybe after you remove your old
disk, and boot from floppy giving the kernel "root=somtehing" parameter,
and then you maybe have to "rdev /vmlinuz /dev/hda1" or something).

Have fun,
Vadik.

Vadik V. (_`    vadik@arbornet.org  http://www.arbornet.org/~vadik/
Vygonets (_.lf  For PGP public key, email me with sibject "get pgpkey"
Linux hackers are funny people: They count the time in patchlevels.