Re: HELP for network setup

> I'm recently instaling Debian 1.1. from CD-ROM. I made
>  X11 window works. Everything seems fine
> and I like it except that I can not make networking up.
>
> Here is my situation:
>    I have a office-wide LAN with a hub. Currently A freeBSD and
> Sun workstation are communicating through hub very well.
> So I don't have the direct access to Internet, but I do registered
> my domain name as newsham.com. I do have a PPP account
> (with static IP 205.198.193.254) provided by the local ISP.
> I have NE2000 Ethernet card installed.
>
> I am using following IP numbers for my machines
>    192.168.3.1      ultralean.newsham.com   # Sun station
>    192.168.3.2      supanee.newsham.com     # freeBSD
>    192.168.3.4      xlean.newsham.com       # Linux (Debian 1.1)
>
> All this IP number are not registered, they only work locally.
>
> How can I configure the network and make PPP work under Debian.

Well, if you are planing to allow all three mchines to access the internett,
throgh the PPP account you must either get a full domain connection from your
ISP, or install a firewall on your linux system foling your ISP that there
is only one machine with the IP number. If you chose the first version you'll
probably have to change your local IP numbers.

> I guess  the netmask is 255.255.255.0. Then what is the IP
>  adddress of my network? what is the broadcastaddress to use
>  on my network? what is the IP address of the default
>  gateway system you should route to, if I do not have a
>  gateway?

In any case you have to configure your linux machine as a router. Which
meens that it needs two IP numbers, two networkaddresses, two
broadcastaddress, one for the eth0 interface and one for the ppp interface.
What values to use for the PPP interface should have been provided to you
by your ISP, and what to use for your eth0 interface is the same as for the
rest of the machines. I would guess something like:

  eth0
    IP=192.168.3.4
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    NETWORK=192.168.3.0
    BROAKAST=192.168.3.255

  PPP
    IP=205.198.193.254
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    NETWORK=205.198.193.0
    BROAKAST=205.198.193.255

The default gateway for your linux box should be the machine at the other
end of the PPP connection, but make sure to add separate routes four your
local network. And if you decided to let the rest of the machines out, there
default gateway should be the linux machine.

You should in any case register your office IP numbers, you see, the linux
machine will have no way of deciding where the send the data if there excists
machines with the same IP number both on the local network and across the PPP
line.

> Please help. I am almost desperated with Linux (I spent
> 3 days to install Slackware96, but Slackware96 is very buggy).
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> If you have a little time this evening and you willing
> to help me on networking, give me your phone number (international
> number is fine) I will phone you.

Well, the time is 09:30 right now here in sweeden. I am just about to leave,
for class and I'll be home again around 17, 18 a'clock (local time). You'll
probably be able to reach me by EMail during that time, otherwise feel free
to phone me before 23:00. My number is +46 46 130188.