bootup messages

I recently recompiled, packaged, and installed a 2.0.20 kernel.
I edited /etc/modules so that no modules are loaded at bootup (just using
"auto"). However I now get the following messages at bootup:

<some date and time> modprobe: can't locate module net-pf-4
<some date and time> modprobe: can't locate module net-pf-5
  "    "        "    modprobe: can't locate module netmask
  "    "        "    modprobe: can't locate module broadcast
SIOCDSIFADDR: no such device

These messages are repeated 2-3 times during startup. Everything seems to
work okay, including my ethernet card. Could someone please tell me the
nature of these messages, and how to get rid of them??

Thanks, Chris.

===
Chris R. Martin              email: chrism@asic.sc.ti.com
			     www: http://http.tamu.edu:8000/~crm7479