Re: need help: error opening terminal con80x25 during install

Wybo Dekker says:
>Hi,
>
>After having installed debian for the first time and logging in as
>root I got the opportunity to install packages with dselect.  However,
>when dselect started, it gave the message:
>
>error opening terminal con80x25
>
>and quit, leaving me with an almost empty system.
>The TERM variable was indeed con80x25. Changing it to "console" did'nt help.
>Does anybody know what I did wrong?

This didn't happen to me, so I don't know what's wrong. Did you just set=TERM
or did you also export it? Outside X my TERM echoes "linux" not console.

Anyway, just to get started, you could also cd in the dirctory where you've the
.deb files and say dpkg -i <pack>; this isn't comfortable, but does get you started.

HTH

ciccio