recompiling kernel and ppp

Hi All,

ok, yet another newbie to debian.  I think I've RTFM but I'm missing
something.

the problem: "this kernel doesn't support ppp"

what I've done:

I just got a CD of debian 1.1.6 (with kernel 2.0.0 and 2.0.12) from
i-connect.  It installed 2.0.0.  I got everything installed, including X (a
pain, my #9 Motion 771 likes to shift the screen dramatically).  I then
tried ppp.  I have chat scripts that worked great with slackware 1.2.13 (I
did a complete re-partition, etc, the only things I kept from slackware was
my chat scripts).  When I tried ppp it wouldn't give me a default route.
Instead of debugging, I decided to get the latest version of everything
first.  I grabbed the various FAQ's, HOWTO's, etc, and started reading.
There was some contradictory advice but I think I got a workable procedure.

the kernel sources for 2.0.12 were on the cd.  I installed them to
/usr/src, made the link to /usr/src/linux, ran make menuconfig, and
everything was fine.  But no ppp.  I rebuilt the kernel 5 or 6 times,
trying different parameters for module/no module, etc.  Everything compiles
fine but ... "this kernel doesn't support ppp".

this was last week and the real world intruded on my playing.  Over the
weekend I had some time to try this again.  I reread the FAQ's, etc.  I
grabbed (from sunsite) kernel 2.0.20 and (from ftp.debian.org) the latest
ppp.deb and module.deb.  (note: I'm using OS/2 Warp for all of this, I have
boot manager/lilo set up and it all works great).  I rebooted into linux
2.0.12.  Then...

cd /usr/src
cp -p /f/{kernel,ppp,module} .
tar zxf kernel...
(this exanded into /usr/src/linux, I renamed the subdir to kernel-2.0.20
  and made a link to linux)
dpkg -i ppp,module
cd linux
make menuconfig (here I've tried various options for module, etc, but,
  bottom line, I'm compiling ppp in directly, not using modules, trying to
  reduce one level of confusion)
make dep;make clean
make zlilo (chug chug chug no problem)
make modules
make modules_install
sync
reboot
log in as root
/sbin/ip-on ru (ru is the name of my chat script)
"kernel doesn't support ppp"
ARGHH!

what am I missing?!?!?!?

thanks,