Re: recompiling kernel and ppp

  Kevin> what am I missing?!?!?!?

You didn't tell us what you were selecting for PPP in "make xconfig". If I am
not mistaken, you need modules. I always use them where I can, and they work
great for me. I select:

	#
	# Network device support
	#
	CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
	CONFIG_DUMMY=m
	# CONFIG_EQUALIZER is not set
	# CONFIG_DLCI is not set
	CONFIG_PLIP=m
	CONFIG_PPP=m
	#
	# CCP compressors for PPP are only built as modules.
	#
	CONFIG_SLIP=m
	CONFIG_SLIP_COMPRESSED=y
	CONFIG_SLIP_SMART=y

and

	#
	# Character devices
	#
	CONFIG_SERIAL=m

which, using kerneld with the "auto" option in /etc/modules, and "alias dummy0
dummy" in /etc/conf.modules gives:

	miles:~ [root] # lsmod
	Module:        #pages:  Used by:
	ppp                5            1 (autoclean)
	dummy0             1            1 (autoclean)
	slip               2            2 (autoclean)
	slhc               2    [ppp slip]      3 (autoclean)
	serial             7            4 (autoclean)

(Ppp is used to the ISP, and slip is loaded as I also use cslip over a
null-modem cable as an el-cheapo network to a laptop running Debian).

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                             http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd