Re: Installation problem with AIC7770 SCSI Controller

There was a major patch to the aic7xxx driver that was originally
applied to kernel 2.0.7.  The patch became part of the regular kernel
2.0.13.  I was having similar problems upgrading to the 2.0.0 kernel
until I sent mail to the aic7xxx maintainer and got pointed to the
patch.  He (Dan Eischen) said that the patch had fixed many bugs.

In order to do a complete install, you'll need a kernel that includes
this patch on your installation boot disk.  If you (or a kind
acquaintance) builds such a kernel, they need to have it support ramdisk,
and to use the rdev.sh script on it (also on the boot disk).  The
installation boot disk is in DOS format, so you can copy to/from it
with mcopy.  Also, the debian installation procedure will complain
that the modules directory is empty (on the boot disk), but this isn't
serious (if you aren't using modules).

Here's where I got the patch and 2.0.7 sources.  You might also just
get a regular kernel later than 2.0.13 and skip the patches:

	ftp.teleport.com:/pub/users/deang/Linux/aic7xxx/Experiment/

	Dan Eischen
	deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org

Good luck, and write if you need clarification.

Danny Heap, UCSF, 3333 California St., Room 102, SF CA, 94122
danny@maxwell.ucsf.edu, voice:	(415) 476-8910, fax: (415) 476-1508