Re: installing debian with initrd

In message <[🔎] m0uz9Tj-0007oIC@mongo.pixar.com>,   you write:
>> and start installing?
>
>I am working on this for Debian 1.2 . Currently, you have to go through
>the 5-floppy thing as detailed in my installation document on our WWW
>site and also via FTP as
>ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/stable/disks-i386/current/install.html .
>
>I am planning to make 3 initrd files. Which one you use depends on how
>much RAM you have. The smallest one boots to a miniroot, and you have
>to feed in a floppy to get the device driver modules. This is
>suitable for 4MB systems. The next larger one contains the miniroot
>and all of the modules, and you have to feed in floppies for the base
>system. This is suitable for 8MB system. The largest contains the entire
>base system, and is suitable for 16MB systems. These should run directly
>off of a CD or DOS partition, and will make floppy-less install possible
>for most people.

What I thought...I frown on making floppies anymore (I'd much
rather transfer images through ethernet...

Right...I'm looking at machines with >= 16 mbytes RAM...I've used
yard to make ram boot disks of 4 megabytes...(with bash and nvi
on there).  I then mount the slackware (I've used slackware)
install disk (as another ram image somewhere) and get it to work..
through brute force!!

Maybe I'm looking for instructions of what programs I have to
have installed in what places...I'm perfectly comfortable building
them myself...

You want to some help?  I'm going to install a system this weekend,
so I might give debian a while (I've been using ELF for a year, and
the only ELF system I knew of last year was slackware).

I floppyless install off CDROM is the way to go...

Are all the floppies independent file systems?  Can I mount them
as loopback file systems?

marty