Re: installing debian with initrd

> Is there a compressed filesystem in a file somewhere (I already have
> a kernel) where I can just do:
>
>         loadlin kernel initrd=image.gz root=/dev/ramdisk
>
> and start installing?

I am working on this for Debian 1.2 . Currently, you have to go through
the 5-floppy thing as detailed in my installation document on our WWW
site and also via FTP as
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/stable/disks-i386/current/install.html .

I am planning to make 3 initrd files. Which one you use depends on how
much RAM you have. The smallest one boots to a miniroot, and you have
to feed in a floppy to get the device driver modules. This is
suitable for 4MB systems. The next larger one contains the miniroot
and all of the modules, and you have to feed in floppies for the base
system. This is suitable for 8MB system. The largest contains the entire
base system, and is suitable for 16MB systems. These should run directly
off of a CD or DOS partition, and will make floppy-less install possible
for most people.

	Thanks

	Bruce