Re: time to split the list?

> Some newbies tell me they find debian-user intimidating due to the high
> level of technical discussion that sometimes goes on there. Is it time
> to split the list? About 2 years ago I proposed a separate list just for
> people trying to install the system. At the time we did not have enough
> traffic for that. We probably do now.

People love to complain about there being too much information, but they
overlook the fact that the reason they can get information and fast
the list, many people will not subscribe to some of them and thus will
not be available to answer questions.  The result is a need to crosspost
to all lists in order to get a decent response.

I, for example, probably will not subscribe to the install and non-tech
groups (maybe not even "technical" since I don't understand what each
is for) and thus will not see questions regarding my packages.

My personal opinion is that splitting the lists will add much confusion
and help little.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )