Re: joe and lynx on a short terminal

Miquel van Smoorenburg writes:

> In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.94.960828130841.2895A-100000@dwarf.polaris.net>,
> Dale Scheetz  <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
> >I have a Data General "dumb" terminal hooked up to my linux box through a
> >hard wired serial port. The terminal seems to provide 24 lines on the
> >screen. Pine handles this fine, but joe and lynx behave as though there
> >were one more line than there actually is. The behavior is that as you
> >cursor down the screen (in joe), the previous line appears under the
> >cursor as you move. Is there an environment variable that I can set to 24
> >(or even smaller) that will make joe and lynx handle the screen correctly?
>
> Probably a terminfo problem. Your terminal may have auto-wrap (auto-margins)
> and terminfo says it doesn't, or vice verse. Also make sure that you do
> have the right terminfo entry: if you set term to "linux" its terminfo
> entry says it has 25 lines.

joe doesn't use terminfo. It comes with its own (very small) termcap file
and uses this. I never had the time to test joe with terminfo support
compiled in instead. The upstream author recommends to not use it anyway.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
meskes@informatik.rwth-aachen.de |   / ___// ____/ // / / __ \___  __________