joe and lynx on a short terminal

I have a Data General "dumb" terminal hooked up to my linux box through a
hard wired serial port. The terminal seems to provide 24 lines on the
screen. Pine handles this fine, but joe and lynx behave as though there
were one more line than there actually is. The behavior is that as you
cursor down the screen (in joe), the previous line appears under the
cursor as you move. Is there an environment variable that I can set to 24
(or even smaller) that will make joe and lynx handle the screen correctly?

TIA,

Dwarf