Re: joe and lynx on a short terminal

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Dale Scheetz wrote:

[...]

> This bring up another issue. This terminal obviously has special needs. Is
> there a way in /etc/profile (or somewhere else) to set up the proper
> conditions based on the terminal rather than the user? That is, can I
> determine at login time what tty is being used and set the proper
> conditions reguardless of the user logging in?

Here's what I have in /ect/profile to do what I think you want;
--------------------------cut---------------------------------
TTYTYPE=`tty|cut -f 3 -d /|grep -f - /etc/ttytype|cut -f 1 -d " "`
  if [ "$TTYTYPE" = "" ]; then
   :
  else
   TERM=$TTYTYPE
  fi

unset TTYTYPE
-------------------------cut----------------------------------

/etc/ttytype looks like this;
-------------------------cut----------------------------------
vt100 ttyS0
vt100 ttyS1
vt100 ttyS2
vt100 ttyS3

In this case I set all the serial ports to vt100 and leaving
everything else alone. I forget where the ttytype idea came from but I
ripped it off from somewhere.

--
Bruce Walzer |Voice: (204) 783-4983
Winnipeg MB  |Internet: bwalzer@lark.magic.mb.ca