Re: joe and lynx on a short terminal

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> Well yeah, if you run agetty (which is /sbin/getty on Debian ofcourse)
> you can put the terminal type at the end of the command line. For example
> if your terminal is a vt100, then in /etc/inittab:
>
> S1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty /dev/ttyS1 9600 vt100

My inittab line has ansi instead of vt100 (it is a little better in this
case). What I was looking for was more like what Gerry suggested.
I also tried your suggestion on the LINES environment variable with little
success.
This is a REALLY DUMB terminal. It claims to handle vt100, and because
pine seems to work, it does seem to support some major subset of the
protocol. But, for instance, if the new line to write to the screen is
only 70 characters and the line being written over had 80, the last 10
characters of the previous line remain after the new line is printed. Also
a tab in the front of the line fails to clear out old characters there as
well.
I got these terminals (8 of them) off the back of a truck that was hauling
them to the dump. It's no big deal if that's where they finally end up. I
have been using this junk to improve my knowledge of the internals of tty
handling. In that reguard they have been worth far more than I paid for
them ;-)

Thanks for all the pointers,

Dwarf