Re: clock -w writes bogus date

Bill Wohler writes:
-> Package: util-linux
-> Version: 2.5-5
->
->   "clock -w" is screwing up the CMOS clock.  See:
->
-> 	# cat /etc/timezone
-> 	US/Pacific
-> 	# clock -r
-> 	Wed Aug 28 00:52:27 1996
-> 	# date
-> 	Wed Aug 28 00:51:54 PDT 1996
-> 	# clock -w
-> 	# clock -r
-> 	Mon Aug 11 00:07:58 2031
-> 	# clock -wu
-> 	Segmentation fault (core dumped)
-> 	# clock -r
-> 	<hangs: goes into tight loop>
->
->   Is there anything here I'm missing (e.g., related
->   programs/packages/settings)?  The segmentation violation and hanging
->   of clock -r is worth a bug report to be sure, but could the -w
->   failure be a mis-configuration of the timezone or Universal time on
->   my part?  I had answered "no" to the Universal time question at
->   install (due to !@#$# DOS).  I just ran tzconfig to change
->   /etc/timezone from Factory to US/Pacific thinking that was my
->   problem.
->

This appears to be a bug in clock from util-linux.  Using "clock" from
this package with the Real time clock enabled in the kernel will cause
a segfault.  I ran into this same problem, and worked around it by
building a hernel with the RTC disabled. Hadn't gotten around to
submitting a bug report yet.  The workarounds seem to be:

1) set the system clock to UTC.
2) downgrade util-linux, or
3) build a kernel with the RTC disabled

-Larry

--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  vizzie@airmail.net / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/