clock -w writes bogus date

Package: util-linux
Version: 2.5-5

  "clock -w" is screwing up the CMOS clock.  See:

	# cat /etc/timezone
	US/Pacific
	# clock -r
	Wed Aug 28 00:52:27 1996
	# date
	Wed Aug 28 00:51:54 PDT 1996
	# clock -w
	# clock -r
	Mon Aug 11 00:07:58 2031
	# clock -wu
	Segmentation fault (core dumped)
	# clock -r
	<hangs: goes into tight loop>

  Is there anything here I'm missing (e.g., related
  programs/packages/settings)?  The segmentation violation and hanging
  of clock -r is worth a bug report to be sure, but could the -w
  failure be a mis-configuration of the timezone or Universal time on
  my part?  I had answered "no" to the Universal time question at
  install (due to !@#$# DOS).  I just ran tzconfig to change
  /etc/timezone from Factory to US/Pacific thinking that was my
  problem.

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>   ph: +1-415-854-1857  fax: +1-415-854-3195
Say it with MIME.  Maintainer of comp.mail.mh and news.software.nn FAQs.