Re: mgetty basic setup

On 27 Aug 1996, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> Please read the documentation provided. (man mgetty and look into
> /usr/doc/mgetty!)

I have no /usr/doc/mgetty, that was my first problem.
"dpkg --contents mgetty_0.99.deb" and "dpkg --search mgetty" both can't
find it.  There is only /usr/doc/copyright/mgetty.

Did you mean /usr/info?  That seems to have the same information as Gert's
Postscript file, which is what I used for my successful Slackware
installation.  Following that info is complicated a bit by not having
"policy.h".

> David Gaudine (david@annette.concordia.ca) wrote:
> :
> : 2) What should the line in /etc/inittab be?  I'm using
> :        d3:45:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS2
> :    because this is what worked with Slackware.

"man mgetty" and "info mgetty" give no hint about whether "d3:45" is
correct.  Can somebody tell me what line works for them?

I realize I'm missing something obvious, since I've been reading
the debian and mgetty mailing lists for months and nobody else seems to
have such basic problems.