Re: mgetty basic setup

Please read the documentation provided. (man mgetty and look into /usr/doc/mgetty!)
Have no idea why it did not install the configuration files. Worked on my system
when tested before being released.

Your Slackware frustration is understandable! Getting used to consistent file location
also took me awhile.

David Gaudine (david@annette.concordia.ca) wrote:
:
: I have mgetty working on a Slackware system, so I assumed I'd have no
: trouble getting it working on a Debian system.  Boy, was I wrong.
: I have no idea what I'm doing, or why nobody else seems to have trouble.
: I couldn't find any debian-specific instructions.
:
: 1) using "dpkg --contents mgetty_099.deb", I see that various
:    configuration files (login.config, mgetty.config, etc.) go in
:    /etc/mgetty.  However, after installing the package, that directory
:    was empty.  Why?  I've removed and reinstalled the package, using
:    both dselect and dpkg; usually /etc/mgetty is empty, once login.config
:    mysteriously appeared.  Finally I copied the files from the Slackware
:    system.
:
: 2) What should the line in /etc/inittab be?  I'm using
:        d3:45:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS2
:    because this is what worked with Slackware.  (not exactly; the other
:    system used com2 (d2,ttyS1), and /usr/local/sbin).  Where is this
:    d3:45 stuff documented?  The reason I got it working with Slackware
:    is that there were already sample lines commented out.  (I think.)
:
:    BTW, the modem is set to com3, and minicom works using /dev/ttyS2
:
: 3) Do I need the "gettydefs" file?  I copied it from - you guessed it -
:    the slackware system.
:
: Oh, I should mention what happens; absolutely nothing.  No answer, no
: logs.
: