Re: /etc/passwd migration between systems

As Jim Worthington said:

> I do know that when I tried to copy my /etc/passwd file from a Sun
> system to Debian 1.1, the passwords would not decrypt correctly on
> login.  Since the passwd file that I'm trying to test is not native to
> Debian Linux, the native Debian crypt algorithm won't be much use in
> it's incompatible state.

I've sent this to Jim already, but I'm re-sending it to the list.

I can get Crack 4.1 to work to a point, but it either

	1) seg-faults near the end, when I compile with -O

	2) creates a garbage filename for the final output file, the filename
		is around 250 bytes (256??) of punctuation and control characters.
		This is when I compile with -g

I ran #2 on a passwd file from a SunOS 4.1.3 machine, and it worked. Crack
was able to crack 4 of the users' passwords. So, the crypt() functions from
SunOS 4.1.3 and Linux 2.0.12 (er, libc 5.whatever) running on a 486
are compatible.

However Jim is seeing an anomaly on his machine. I'm also getting strange
behaviour from Crypt, and so is Randy Gobbel. I get segfaults or strange
filesystem behavior, and Randy's machine freezes, or also has strange
filesystem behavior.

Any more strange tales from the crypt() ? (sorry... my attempt at humor)

--gilbert
Gilbert Ramirez Jr.                     gram@merece.uthscsa.edu
University of Texas                     http://merece.uthscsa.edu/gram
Health Science Center at San Antonio    University Health System