Re: /etc/passwd migration between systems

In article <[🔎] 321F83F3.2D87@worldnet.att.net>,
Jim Worthington  <jworthington@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I've tried UFC CRYPT in addition to FCRYPT with equally un-successful
>results.  The use of standard crypt makes sense as you suggest, however,
>I believe that the crypt which is distributed with Debian 1.1 is broken,
>or at least incompatable with the standard Unix crypt algorithm.
>Whether this is a bug or a security enhancement is unknown.

I can assure you that the crypt included in the Linux libc is compatible
with other Unix crypts. We are using NIS in our internal network, and
I've worked with Solaris NIS servers, SunOS NIS servers and Linux NIS
servers (now only using the Linux NIS server) with accounts/passwords
generated on all of them. Everything can talk with eachother.

Please don't spread around such misinformation about Linux and/or Debian.
It is bad publicity, and does hurt us all.

I don't know what problem you are seeing with Crack, but I compiled
it myself a couple of months ago with no trouble what so ever.

Mike.
--
+   Miquel van Smoorenburg   + Cistron Internet Services +  Living is a     |
|  miquels@cistron.nl (SP6)  | Independent Dutch ISP     |   horizontal     |