Re: /etc/passwd migration between systems

Gilbert Ramirez Jr. wrote:

> As Jim Worthington said:
> >
> > Has anybody successfully been able to run crack on Debian Linux 1.1?

> Randy Gobbel and I are looking at Crack right now on Linux (kernel 2.0.12).
>
> If you make FCRYPT equal to null in Sources/Makefile, and possibly remove
> references to FCRYPT, you can successfully compile and run Crack. To me it
> seems like the Makefile is configure to either use fcrypt or UFC, but not a
> standard crypt. This is because most standard crypts are SLOW. But the
> Linux crypt is very fast. Change the Makefile like so:
>
> FCRYPT=

Gilbert,

I've tried UFC CRYPT in addition to FCRYPT with equally un-successful
results.  The use of standard crypt makes sense as you suggest, however,
I believe that the crypt which is distributed with Debian 1.1 is broken,
or at least incompatable with the standard Unix crypt algorithm.
Whether this is a bug or a security enhancement is unknown.

I do know that when I tried to copy my /etc/passwd file from a Sun
system to Debian 1.1, the passwords would not decrypt correctly on
login.  Since the passwd file that I'm trying to test is not native to
Debian Linux, the native Debian crypt algorithm won't be much use in
it's incompatible state.

I do get some warning messages when crack is invoked.  Perhaps this is
related to why it won't run:   Any Ideas?

bytesex.c: In function `main':
bytesex.c:19: warning: left shift count >= width of type
crack-pwc.c: In function `TryManyUsers':
crack-pwc.c:556: warning: passing arg 2 of `strcpy' makes pointer from
integer without a cast
crack-pwc.c: In function `TryOneUser':
crack-pwc.c:598: warning: passing arg 1 of `strcmp' makes pointer from
integer without a cast
crack-pwc.c: In function `main':
crack-pwc.c:1094: warning: passing arg 1 of `strcmp' makes pointer from
integer without a cast

The version of crack that I am using is 4.1f.  I thought that somebody
on this list made reference to version 4.5 about a week ago.  Do you
know what the most recent version is and where it can be obtained?

Jim  <jworthington@worldnet.att.net>