Re: xconsole error

Hi Ken --

You wrote:
> I am having difficulty getting the xconsole to work running in
> fvwm (or any window manager).  I use a .xsession file in my home
> directory.  Here is that file:
>
> ----------------- begin .xsession file -------------
> #!/bin/bash

[snip]
> xconsole -exitOnFail -g 490x200-20-50 &
> -------------------------- end .xsession file -------------
[snip]

> At first I did not have the "exitOnFail" in the xconsole line,
> and I would get an xconsole window that said
>   "Couldn't open console".
> With the "exitOnFail", I just get no window at all.

Your /dev/xconsole should look like this:
prw-r--r--   1 root     root            0 Aug 25 06:37 /dev/xconsole|

If not, execute:
mknod -m 644 /dev/xconsole p

Be sure that the xconsole line is uncommented in /etc/syslog.conf:
auth.*;daemon.*;mail.*;news.crit;news.err;news.notice;*.=debug;*.=info;\
*.=notice;*.=warn;cron.none      |/dev/xconsole

I start xconsole with this:
xconsole -file /dev/xconsole

If you try bringing up xconsole and see nothing, then it's possible that
you've already been logging messages for a while and the pipe filled up, so
syslog quit sending messages to it.  To start over again, issue this
command:
kill -SIGHUP `cat /var/run/syslog.pid`

HTH,
Susan Kleinmann