xconsole error

I am having difficulty getting the xconsole to work running in
fvwm 9or any window manager).  I use a .xsession file in my home
directory.  Here is that file:

----------------- begin .xsession file -------------
#!/bin/bash

#Add to path
PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/lib/X11:/usr/contrib/mh/bin:/usr/contrib/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
export PATH

DISPLAY=:0.0
export DISPLAY

#Merge in user resources:
#xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xresources

#start Applications
xterm -g 95x40-40+200 -sb &
xterm -g 95x40-700+10 -sb &
xconsole -exitOnFail -g 490x200-20-50 &
xclock &
xcal &
#xmh   -g 750x545+5+400 &
#exmh &

#start fishtank
#xfishtank &

#start window manager
exec fvwm2 &

#start controlling proc
/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -iconify -rv -title root -name "root" -g +5+1
-------------------------- end .xsession file -------------

At first I did not have the "exitOnFail" in the xconsole line,
and I would get an xconsole window that said
  "Couldn't open console".
With the "exitOnFail", I just get no window at all.

I created a test user account, and didn't put a .xsession file
in its home directory.  The xconsole opens and works fine.

What is it about this xsession file that is trashing my xconsole?

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

--
Ken Gaugler
email: keng@aimnet.com  URL: users.aimnet.com/~keng