Re: Please explain Motif issues (was: StarOffice under Debian)

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> Can someone point me toward the FAQ or HOWTO that will explain the
> issues with Motif?  Why is Motif hard to come by and what is Lesstif?
>
> Thnax!
>
> Chris -)-----

(Anybody should jump in here if I make a mistake)

Motif is a widget set made by the Open Software Foundation.  They then
license out the right to the source code to different sources (they also
have a seperate license to use the name "Motif").  Those sources include
companies like HP, sun and others who then include motif in the regular
operating system.

For linux, where most people get it for free (or very cheaply) it is
possible to get Motif through programs like MooTeeth, which is compiled
from the Motif sources, but they haven't licensed the name so they can't
call it Motif.

Another project which is going on is the lesstif project.(less and mo,
get it :) ). They want to provide a free library that is source code
compatible with Motif 1.2.  i.e. you compile the libraries drop them in
/usr/X11R6/lib and all programs that require Motif 1.2 will look and act
the same as if they were using the real libraries.  So far the project
looks very promising.

Hope this clears things up.

Shaya
---