module cdu31a fails on insert

I am installing debian 1.1.1 from the August Pacific Hi Tech CD on my Gateway
200 PS-60.

Things go OK until I try to add the cdu31a module to support the CDU33A CDROM
drive in the Gateway: it fails to insert.

The drive is defaulted onto 0x340; when I try to add a parameter to the module
insertion it either fails the same way or gives me an invalid parameter
message.

So perhaps I am providing the parameter in the wrong format (could not find any
documentation with the distribution on the format of module parameters) - or
something else is wrong.

Everything works OK using Slackware 3.0 kernel 1.2.13 with cdu31a support in
the kernel.

Thanks,
Michael Laing