*REPRODUCIBLE CRASH* with 2.0.12 kernel (earlier kernels also)

After hearing all this stuff about viruses and password security I started
getting nervous, so I grabbed Crack 4.1 off of the net, compiled it, and
started running it over the password files of all the systems whose security I
care about.  On the very small password file of my personal machine it
completes normally, but when I try to run it on a relatively large password
file, I get a system freeze after running for around 45 minutes.  The freeze
appears to be completely reproducible.  I thought at first that the problem
might be related to the beta-test X server that I'm running, but it happens
whether or not X is running.  When I restart after one of these freezes, I get
exactly the same message from fsck every time:

Deleted inode 281219 has zero dtime.

I just made up the number, but in any case it's the same inode every time.
There are no other error messages.

Has any else seen anything like this?  There's clearly a bug somewhere, but I
don't know if the problem is more likely to be in the kernel or in my
hardware.  I haven't seen any other indication of any hardware problems.  My
system is a 200 MHz Pentium Pro, with an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI adapter, a
Quantum Atlas 4.3 GB hard disk, and 80 MB of main memory (if you haven't
looked at RAM prices lately, you should).  I started with Debian 1.1, and have
kept the kernel up to date since then by applying patches as they appeared.

Other than this list, is there an "official" place to report problems like
this?  I'm leery of posting to the newsgroups, because when I did recently, I
was hit by a flood of junk email--the reason for the anti-spam paragraph at
the end of this message.

-Randy
--
http://cogsci.ucsd.edu/~gobbel/

NOTICE: I DO NOT ACCEPT UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL EMAIL MESSAGES OF ANY KIND.  I
CONSIDER SUCH MESSAGES PERSONAL HARRASSMENT AND A GROSS INVASION OF MY
PRIVACY.  By sending unsolicited commercial advertising/solicitations (or