RE: X11 and LaTeX minimal install

<SNAP ON>

 ----------
From:  salwen[SMTP:salwen@phys2.harvard.edu]
Sent:  Wednesday, August 21, 1996 1:23 AM
To:  billy.chow
Cc:  debian-user
Subject:  Re: X11 and LaTeX minimal install

> A minimal X (and LaTeX) installation requires several debian packages,
>but most people either do not want X or want at least a minimal
>installation, right?  So what are the justifications of splitting a
>minimal X and LaTeX the way it is?

The developers may have their own reasons for breaking up the packages
but I can suggest a couple.

If people are pulling the packages over a phone line there is an
advantage to
limitting the size of individual packages.  That way they can hang up the
phone periodically.  Also, if a bug shows up that needs to be fixed they
only have to download the package that is broken.

Nathan

<SNAP OFF>

And what about Floppy Installation like myself !
I can install most of the debian package with single floppy
(1.44M although :) and only have to split few ones...

It can be a good thing if you can set a more pratical multiple
floppy installation scheme for those who needs space to install...
But I think you already discuss about it! :)