Re: Debian quirks?

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: Vebjoern Forsmo <vebjorn@hsr.no>
> > /etc/inittab:
> > 1:2345:respawn:/bin/login root </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1
>
> Login does have a built-in 60-second timeout at the "password:" prompt,
> and might have a timeout at the "login:" prompt too, I don't remember.

The above line puts you right at the password: prompt, so the 60 second
password timeout is the cause of the problem.

> If you run a more normal getty/login on this terminal, you won't have the
> problem. If you insist on doing it this way, you might have to hack the
> source code if you can't find a solution in the login man page.

I've changed this back to a "normal" entry, but the above is what was
installed by the bootdisks available sometime around the beginning of
August when I installed Debian on a server.  Sysvinit 2.64-1 has a normal
looking inittab.

Anyway, there was a comment too:

# This is the only special line - the rest is straight from the normal inittab.
1:2345:respawn:/bin/login root </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1

> > Several programs seems to prefer /tmp over /var/tmp.
> /tmp should probably be a symbolic link to var/tmp .

I too thought about doing it this way, but I'm a bit unsure about what
happens if the partition /var/tmp resides on can't be mounted? (Are there
any important programs that depend upon /tmp?)

Vebby