RE: kernel size (was: How do I get GATEWAY2000 PS/2 mouse to work?)

From: Casper BodenCummins <bodec@Sherwood.co.uk>
> IMHO, a better alternative to the large, best-endeavours kernel would be
> to ship a really tight kernel and use the installation front-end to
> configure additional support (in modules where possible or desirable).

The stripped-down kernel for 1.2 is currently 362K compressed,
a good deal smaller than the generic one for 1.1 . And that was with
AX.25 included in the kernel (because it's not modularized and I wanted
to experiment with it). The final one will no doubt be smaller.
As far as I can tell, everything that I left out of it is working in module
form. However, some of the modules do not auto-configure the device addresses,
while the linked in version of the same driver does. We might have to help the
user a bit with this, but hopefully it will be less of a mess than the
situation we have now, in which the generic kernel can't be made to work for
everyone.

	Thanks

	Bruce