configuring packages as a separate step

From: Casper BodenCummins <bodec@Sherwood.co.uk>
> I like your suggestion of configuring packages as a separate step.

There may be a bit of misunderstanding here. I did an update of my system
from the "rex" (unstable) directory today using the FTP method of dselect.
Updating from "rex" is a good way to get new bugs, but developers have to
do that. Anyway, the system downloaded and installed all the updated packages
and then configured all of the updated packages. Is this not what your system
does?

In any case, you can use "dselect" to _select_ all of the packages you
want, and then exit dselect and run "dpkg" to install and then select
the ones you've selected. You'll have to figure out the right flags,
but you should be able to separate the installation and configuration
steps. I think this is exactly what "dselect" does - it just runs
"dpkg" once to install, and once to configure.

Am I not understanding the problem?

	Thanks

	Bruce