Re: MIDI & Debian?

On Thu, 15 Aug 1996, Richard G. Roberto wrote:
> further.  There is another free sequencer type program for X
> that I found confusing and not generally useful, but someone
> else may.  It's called Rosegarden.

After doing some more research, I found a nasty memory leak
in jazz :-(.  Too bad, I liked the interface!  I have gotten
a little used to Rosegarden and, although it lacks features,
it does play reliably.  I also found that it maintains
playing speed very well.  Other linux X-MIDI software seem
to slow down when you do anything in X! (like move a
window!)

> There's a reference URL at:
>
> http://www.digiserve.com/ar/linux-snd/
>
> This has many links to useful places for Linux sound!
>
> One thing about that HOWTO, though.  I have a true MPU-401
> capable card, so according to the HOWTO and the Readme.cards
> in the kernel sources, I shouldn't have any problems
> enabling this _and_ the audiotrix pro.  But the mpu-401
> driver complains about a conflict.  Also, the 2.0.12 kernel

This still happens, but without the MPU-401 support, I don't
have MIDI capabilities.  It looks like the MPU-401 option is
required for MIDI device support with the audiotrix pro.
This is a funky card and I have lots of hoops to jump
through to get it to work corrctly under DOS/WIN too.  More
on that later ...

> does not have these sound drivers available as modules!  I

As near as I can tell, this stuff gets compiled into the
sound.o module and not the kernel.  Anybody know for sure?

> think I'm going to recompile the kernel without the MPU-401
> driver and see what happens.  I have a few other things to

As I said, I tried it without the MPU-401 part and no midi.
Strangely enough, I couldn't get the MPU-401 device to
initialize correctly, though.  I got the same conflict
message.  But then I used the USS/Linux driver demo to test
the board, it worked!  So I unloaded it and reloaded
sound.o, and bingo:  MPU-401 midi device listed in
/dev/sndstat!  Rosegarden seems to be able to use the wave
table blaster periodically as well!

> do first, but I should get to this this weekend.  I may have
> other news on MIDI/Sound stuff by then as well.  I'll gladly
> share it with the list if it seems useful.

I found the USS/Linux web site that has a handful of tools
on its web pages.  I was unable to access these tools so Dev
at USS/Linux emailed them to me!  He's a really nice guy
who's interested in free software.  He's using a hacked up
slackware distribution for his internal purposes and I
turned him on to Debian.  He said he'd consider upgrading,
but he has a lot of stuff to do first.  I'll keep on him!
He also said that he would give me the sources to his MIDI
apps so I could debianize them!  They currently don't work
with the USS/Lite sound.o module (at least they don't for
me), so I'll have to take a look at getting them to be more
generally useful, but they work pretty well.

They have the timing problem I mentioned above, which needs
to be worked out.  They also don't give per track options
for input/output device selection, which I need.  I'll stay
on top of this as much as I can, but I'm really behind in so
many things that it may take a while.  I'm getting ready to
move half way across the world in three weeks from now!

I think this is an area that needs more attention than I'm
currently capable of giving it, but I'm the one in need, so
I guess I get the job ...

Thanks!

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
201-739-2886 - whippany, nj

Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.