Re: MIDI & Debian?

On Wed, 14 Aug 1996, Nick Busigin wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Aug 1996, Richard G. Roberto wrote:
>
> > Last night I installed kernel 2.0.12 and now I have sound!
> > Well, I can use auplay to play a .wav file anyway.  I have
> > no idea how to test the rest of my board's functionality.
> > Does anybody know of a digital audio package for Debian that
> > will let me record digital audio?  How about a MIDI package
> > that will let me at least play MIDI files?
>
> Richard,
>
> Take a look at the Linux Sound HOWTO document that can be found in
> comp.os.linux.answers as well as other places.
>
> Best regards,
>
>                                      Nick

> Nick Busigin                                                nick@xwing.org

Nick,

Yes, I read the HOWTO and found it very informative.  It
does not, however, discuss testing MIDI capabilities.  Nor
does it discuss testing full duplex digital capabilities.  I
did find two somewhat useful programs however.  Jazz is a
free midi program for X that seemed to be on the right track
(no pun intended).  This confirmed my midi capability was
working, although my card can use FM and WaveTable systhesis
and it sounded like FM.  I'll have to check into that
further.  There is another free sequencer type program for X
that I found confusing and not generally useful, but someone
else may.  It's called Rosegarden.

There's a reference URL at:

http://www.digiserve.com/ar/linux-snd/

This has many links to useful places for Linux sound!

One thing about that HOWTO, though.  I have a true MPU-401
capable card, so according to the HOWTO and the Readme.cards
in the kernel sources, I shouldn't have any problems
enabling this _and_ the audiotrix pro.  But the mpu-401
driver complains about a conflict.  Also, the 2.0.12 kernel
does not have these sound drivers available as modules!  I
think I'm going to recompile the kernel without the MPU-401
driver and see what happens.  I have a few other things to
do first, but I should get to this this weekend.  I may have
other news on MIDI/Sound stuff by then as well.  I'll gladly
share it with the list if it seems useful.

Thanks!

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
201-739-2886 - whippany, nj

Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.