Re: Someone working on support for NFS mounted "/usr"?

> As near as I can tell from examining various FAQs, there is no support
> for maintaining clients with a read-only, NFS-mounted "/usr"
> partition.  The only current solution seems to be: (i) install a
> complete system on the server and a base system on the client;
> (ii) remove the client "/usr" partition and mount the server "/usr" in
> its place; (iii) configure the client's packages by hand.

Well, as far as I (and about 5 happy clients (who mount /usr from
my servre) can see, you're somewhat wrong.

The only trouble is /etc: it has to be mounted rw (/etc/mounts, and
/etc/ld.so.cach), and has to have some files different from
the server (like /etc/init.d/network, setting up different IP numbers).

But on the /usr side, its all _very_ easy!

Contact me if you have problems.

--
joost witteveen
            joost@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl