Some initial problems

Hello,

bored of the rubbish that slackware blows on my disk, I looked for an
alternative - and found debian.

Yesterday I tried to install the base-disks from buzz-fixed/binary-i386/disks
(feivel.informatik.rwth-aachen.de).

I ran into some problems which are not mentioned in the FAQs I found...

The problems seem to have started when /root/.configure got the control:

- I misspelled the password for the user acount I was asked for. Result: A broken
  useraccount and a request for another useraccount. This is not realy a problem
  to me but it's ugly and maybe very confusing to newcomers...

- The $TERM Environment-Variable is set to "con80x25" on my system which caused
  dselect to print an error-message and exit - no possibility to install
  additional packages... (Error-Message something like "Error opening terminal:
  con80x25.")

The second problem is still there - I can't get an editor, dselect or similar
unless I set&export TERM=linux manually. And - worse - I can't find where TERM
is set to the confusing value.

What did I do wrong?

Jens Peter.