Re: Some initial problems

Jens Peter Lindemann said:
> bored of the rubbish that slackware blows on my disk, I looked for an
> alternative - and found debian.

> - The $TERM Environment-Variable is set to "con80x25" on my system
> which caused dselect to print an error-message and exit - no
> possibility to install additional packages... (Error-Message
> something like "Error opening terminal: con80x25.")
>
> The second problem is still there - I can't get an editor, dselect or
> similar unless I set&export TERM=linux manually. And - worse - I
> can't find where TERM is set to the confusing value.

Bruce Perens answered:
> This is a symptom of an antique kernel. Are you running Debian 0.93?
> Debian 1.1.4 is on our FTP site ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/stable .
> Did you change the kernel in some other way?

I upgraded my Slackware at home to Debian 1.1, and experienced a similar
problem.  Indeed, what was causing the TERM variable to be incorrectly set was
the fact that I was still booting my old 1.2.13 kernel from Slackware instead
of the new 2.0.0 from Debian.  That happened because I kept many of my old
Slackware files in the system, and even after the installation of Debian, lilo
continued booting the old kernel (I actually rerun lilo, but because of a
mistake from my part it didn't reinstall the boot sector).

I'm not sore this is Jens' case, but if so, the solution is just to configure
lilo apropriately so that it boots the new kernel.

Hope this helps,

M. S.
Martin A. Soto J.                           Profesor
Departamento de Ingenieria de Sistemas y Computacion
Universidad de los Andes      masoto@uniandes.edu.co