Suck doesn't download news

I have been trying to get suck working and haven't had any luck.
Everything seems to work with no complaints and no error messages, but
it always reports that there is nothing to download. I can use the
testhost command to download the active file, and there is a suck.newrc
file left in the /tmp directory that shows the highest available
entry in each newsgroup from my sucknewsrc file, so it seems to be
communicating OK. Has anybody else had anything similar to this happen?
I am using the package version 2.6.3-1 from the stable release.

Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org