Re: make-kpkg...and other things...

On 12 Aug 1996, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

	Hello..

> 	I'm not sure why the module problems exist (I only had those
>  problems with old modules lying around), but I can explain the
>  make-kpkg stuff.

	It seems to be that the kernel was looking for..as mr. Perens has
pointed out..8093.o..as i *thaught* i had removed the network cards from
the kernel, infavor of pcmcia, i suspect a slip of the configuration on my
part.

> 	Older versions of what is now called kernel-package used to be
>  part of the kernel-source package (I think that kernel-source
>  packages continue to be released with the kernel-package package
>  built in for historical reasons).  The older kernel-{source,package}
>  packages did not contain the make-kpkg command.
>
> 	The kernel-package package is designed to work with bare
>  kernel sources, so you could update your sources ny backing up and
>  removind debian* stuff from your kernel sources tree, and installing
>  kernel-package_2.03 (which provides make-kpkg).

	Ok..im running 1.1 "out of the box" as it were..so kernel 2.0.0.. im
not shure of the minor numbers...but what was on the ftp site in late
july...
	Ill look for make-kpkg when i update my kernel in the future...
thanks

> 	Unfortunately, I can't guarantee that the newer kernel-package
>  will build a kernel that would not be problematic, since I don't
>  understand what is causing it (I think that ./debian.rule
>  kernel_image should have produced a kernel that worked).

	I think it did exactly as i told it..:)...ill go hunting it later
today..for now it is solved by explicitly loading 8390.o....

> 	I hope this helps.

	It did...thank you vary much..
jeff