Re: make-kpkg...and other things...

Hi,

	I'm not sure why the module problems exist (I only had those
 problems with old modules lying around), but I can explain the
 make-kpkg stuff.

	Older versions of what is now called kernel-package used to be
 part of the kernel-source package (I think that kernel-source
 packages continue to be released with the kernel-package package
 built in for historical reasons).  The older kernel-{source,package}
 packages did not contain the make-kpkg command.

	The kernel-package package is designed to work with bare
 kernel sources, so you could update your sources ny backing up and
 removind debian* stuff from your kernel sources tree, and installing
 kernel-package_2.03 (which provides make-kpkg).

	Unfortunately, I can't guarantee that the newer kernel-package
 will build a kernel that would not be problematic, since I don't
 understand what is causing it (I think that ./debian.rule
 kernel_image should have produced a kernel that worked).

	I hope this helps.

	manoj
>>"Jeff" == Jeff Mickey <jmic@tezcat.com> writes:

Jeff> Im haveing module problums.....SIGH....I installed 1.1..kernel
Jeff> 2.0.0..since this is going on my thinkpad 500..4Megs of
Jeff> memory...i built myself a real lean kernel....:).

Jeff> ..............so i hack about a bit..and i find
Jeff> "debian.rules"...AH Ha!..."./debian.rules kernel_image"...12
Jeff> hours later i have a kernel."stuff".deb file...i install and
Jeff> configure..reboot and.....

Jeff> I had a look through the messages i had saved from the list,and
Jeff> came up with "make-kpkg kernel_image"..which seems not to be on
Jeff> my system.....nether find nor a serch through the relivent files
Jeff> seem to reveale it.  I have clearly missed somthing...help. jeff

--
 If something's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well.
Manoj Srivastava               Systems Research Programmer, Project Pilgrim,