Re: printing and .profile problems

> On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, chris beamis wrote:
>> 1. dselect didn't configure lpr correctly so I did it myself using the
>> printing HOWTO which I've done successfully many times before with Slackware
>> releases. Now root can print but users get the message, "usr can't create
>> /usr/spool/lpd/hp4p/.seq". This is with the permissions on that file
>> set to >> rw_rw_r as the HOWTO says. I tried changing the permissions to
>> rw_rw_rw but then a user gets the message "usr can't create
>> /usr/spool/lpd/hp4p/tfA006Aa01777". As far as I know I have the
>> permissions set correctly in all the directories leading to this file,
>> but this seems like a permission problem. I'm stuck!

	On the couple of Linux boxes I've set up recently, the
directories under /usr/spool/lpd are chown'd either root or lp, and
they're all chgrp'd lp.  I have the permissions set to 775 (ie, rwxrwxr-x)
and I haven't run into any problems so far.  (The benefit of my following
up with this is I'm sure someone will let me know if these perms will
cause problems I haven't forseen or encountered...)

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996 bigl@tg.com.pl wrote:
> This line should look like:
> alias lo='exit'

	First, the original message doesn't state what shell is being
used.  The construction of the sample alias command indicates it's of the
Bourne family, but doesn't pin it down further than that.  My answer
assumes that the GNU Bourne-Again shell (bash, typically /bin/bash) is
the subject.
	The single quotes are only necessary in cases where the command
to be aliased contains spaces.  I generally make more use of self-
defined functions than aliases, but the single quotes are only needed in
an example such as

alias pico='pico -e -k -w -x -z'

(This is using the pico that accompanies pine v3.94; don't know if
earlier pico versions support all of these arguments.)

David winters+@pitt.edu aka winters+@cs.cmu.edu
Office: 3503 WeH, x86720