Re: Two Questions

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Dan Bergman wrote:

> 1. How do I set up a boot so I can boot Debian or Win95?
>  Now I have to use a boot disk to get debian to boot...
>
> 2. How do I change the diplay mode in XF86 from 8bit to 16bit
> color? I have a Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM w/ 2MB and use
> 16bit color in win95 so there shouldn't be any probs to get
> it in X too..

generally, you type:

startx -- -bpp 16

You need XF86Config set up correctly (is it possibly already
correct?)

You can also edit the Xservers file (type "locate Xservers" it
should be in /etc/X11 somewhere) to use 16 bit.  Mine has:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -gamma 1.5 -bpp 16

as the active ingredient.

__kmb203@psu.edu_______________Debian/GNU__1.1___Linux__2.0.11___
We believe that man is essentially good.  It's only his behavior
that lets him down.  This is the fault of society.  Society is
the fault of conditions.  Conditions are the fault of society.
				-- Steve Turner, "Creed"