Re: what files does dselect/dpkg use to discern choices?

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, David C Winters wrote:

> 	Now, to explain the question, since I can't understand the
> Subject: line and I wrote it myself...
>
> 	I've got approximately 50 machines I need to build.  My best
> option for the initial system build, unless I've missed something, would
> be to run deselect on one machine, then take a deselect-generated file
> containing my selections and exporting that file to all the other
> machines, so I can just start up dselect and choose "Install" without
> having to go through "Select" on each.
> 	How can I accomplish this?  Which file(s) do I need to export in
> order to make this happen?  And, is there a better way to achieve the
> same results?
>
> 	Now, a meta-issue.  I've been extremely pleased with the Debian
> distribution, as well as the support I've received from this list.
> Thanks, all!
>

> David winters+@pitt.edu aka winters+@cs.cmu.edu
> Office: 3503 WeH, x86720

I don't think you can do much in terms of recording input to
dselect.  I would look at something like a tape-backup
technology, or using a null modem to transfer the data.  (I
assume if you have 50 machines you have more advanced networking
than a null modem).

If you recompile the kernel, there is an option for "Root
filesystem on NFS."  If you could get an NFS on one drive to
export, you could boot all the machines with NFS and then copy
stuff en mass from machine to machine.

I'm not sure how to actually send the data, but you could use
something like afio to packages the filesystem up and send it
through the NFS.

A neat idea: look into dbackup... (but it isn't done yet, AFAIK)

__kmb203@psu.edu_______________Debian/GNU__1.1___Linux__2.0.11___
We believe that man is essentially good.  It's only his behavior
that lets him down.  This is the fault of society.  Society is
the fault of conditions.  Conditions are the fault of society.
				-- Steve Turner, "Creed"