Re: DEBIAN-Re: logging in takes ages

My problem, since upgrading is similiar.  I get the prompt, enter username
and password and then wait.  It seems to be account related.  I can go to
other virtual terminals and log in as other users, but if I try the same
user, that
terminal will also hang.  Typicall hang times seem to be as bad as 30 seconds.

Note, I almost always log in as root, so my problem may be root specific.

                Jim

At 08:26 AM 6/18/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Erick Branderhorst wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Some dos oriented machines can acces my Debian box via a wd network
>> card connected via coax. For some time this went pretty well, the login
>> prompt showed up in 1 or 2 seconds. This isn't the case anymore, it takes
>> approx 15 to 30 seconds before the login prompt shows up. any body having
>> a clue why this is taking so long?
>>
>> Erick
>
>Here's a clue:
>
>I built a 2.0.0 kernel that used dynamically loadable modules whereever
>possible. I get delays during system startup and sometimes when I use
>other network-related processes. It's not killing me, but I will be
>getting around to building kernels that are "tuned" for the typical role
>of each machine. I haven't analyzed it, but suspect that some longer
>delays are caused because more than a single kernel module needs to be
>loaded. This is just an opinion based on disk sound.
>

>Paul Wade - Greenbush Systems

>* http://www.wtop.com/ - THE OTHER WEBSITE *

  .oooO Oooo.
  (   ) (   )    jimrush@indirect.com