Re: Problem installing with NCR 53c8x0

>>>>> "Martin" == Martin Konold <zxmmz01@fiwi02.wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

Martin> On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Larry Riedel wrote:
>>  I am using the boot floppy from the 1.1 distribution.  I have an
>> ASUS P55T2P4 (Triton II) motherboard with the ASUS SCSI adaptor
>> (NCR 53c8x0) and a generic ISA VGA video card.  The motherboard has
>> an onboard floppy controller, etc.
>>
>> Here is a piece of the boot messages:
>>
>> NCR53c406a: no available ports found PPA: unable to initialise
>> controller at 0x378, error 2 scsi : 0 hosts.  scsi : detected total

Martin> This is NOT the driver for a NCR53c810 Chip used on ASUS SC200
Martin> etc.  There is currently no support in Debian for this
Martin> actually popular card.

Martin> YOurs, -- martin

If you have a kernel with the support you need, it's actually pretty
easy to convert the boot disk to use your kernel.  The boot disk is in
DOS format, and kernel is a file called "linux" or something like that
on the boot disk.  You simply copy your own kernel image over tht
file, run "rdev.sh" on it, and off you go.  I've not seen a list of
EXACTLY what support your kernel must have, and what can and can't be
modules.  What I did was compile in support for (not modules):

ramdisks
ext2
minix
umsdos
msdos

Plus all of the other things I normally use as far as device drivers,
etc.  DON'T put in "ext" support - there is a bug in the installation
(which I've reported) if you have this support in there.

Hope this helps.  Make sure you read the docs on the boot disk, the
installation FAQ etc.  The information I've provided isn't nearly
enough to be a complete explanation.

Later,
	Dale