Re: rlogin localhost

In message <[🔎] vafd92y1jsu.fsf@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> you write:

|  Mark> Why was this?  Is there something I need to do to allow rlogin
|  Mark> connections, or doesn't it make sense to rlogin to localhost?
|  Mark> (Nor can I do telnet, finger or ftp - I can do ping though.)
|
|Maybe the services are commented out in /etc/inetd.conf?

Probably.

(if I'm linking the original question to a "Connection refused"
message right) - you get "Connecion refused" when the machine is
reachable and functional, but there is nobody listening on that
particular port.

|I think ping uses the echo protocol which is built in to inetd, so
|maybe the entries in /etc/inetd.conf that say to run telnetd, rlogind
|and similar stuff are wrong?  Check the file and see if you have the
|executables in the right paths.

Ping uses ICMP-ECHO packets.  So you can get "elvis is alive" while
elvis has just configured the network card but before anything is
running.  That would comply with the "connection refused" message too.

Just make sure your inetd is running, take a look at your inetd.conf
file and return to us.

Cheers,

--Amos

--Amos Shapira                    | "Of course Australia was marked for
133 Shlomo Ben-Yosef st.          |  glory, for its people had been chosen
Jerusalem 93 805                  |  by the finest judges in England."
ISRAEL             amos@dsi.co.il |                     -- Anonymous