Re: POP forwarding

    Douglas> However, my Debian Linux machine can reach outside the
    Douglas> firewall and access their home server for them.

I think it would not be too difficult to write a POP proxy.  You write
a little program that runs on your Debian box that pretends to be a
POP server, but what it really does is to open a connection to the
*real* POP server of your friends and forward all commands to that
server.

All the program needs to do is to know where a message ends, you can
then read all of a message then wait for response.  That means that
you will have to familiarize yourself with the POP protocol to see how
each request to and response from the server is terminated.

I did this once for HTTP and it didn't take me longer than two days
(part-time, used a programming language I had never seen before,
learned to use Python on the way).

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.